Thursday 7 August 2008

The making of "Pixel Junk Monsters" review...Part 1

I Just went online and bought Pixel Junk Monsters off the PSN store (accidentally, I was just trying to see how much it was!) Played through the first couple of levels and so far I am really enjoying it.

The game is largely inspired by Desktop Tower Defense. A game that had me hooked for almost a week not so long ago. So I would recommend anyone to go and play that free flash game first to get the feel of what PJM is all about.

My first quick tip is probably an obvious one but "Dance the towers" (which I would have known had I read the How To Play menu). Your towers need upgrading to make them more powerful and instead of standing over them to build them up, I was waisting valuable gems collected from the monsters. So in fact my actual first quick tip will just be “read the damn how to play menu”.

I’m finding myself getting the old perfectionist bug that rears its ugly head from time to time. See if you complete a level without letting a single monster through you are rewarded with a rainbow, as soon as one baddy gets through I immediately hit restart and go about tweaking my strategy. Many games I am happy enough to bomb through and just enjoy, but every now and then a game compels me to complete it with 100%, all gold, nothing left to do….I fear this may be one of those games.

Got my girlfriend to play a few levels with me and it was good fun, although I took the PS3 to hers and was playing on a 26” SD TV (as opposed to my usual 32” Widescreen HD set up) and that made it a lot harder to explain the game. So while we still had fun this game is a lot easier to play on a bigger HD screen. Slightly ironic as it is probably the least graphically impressive PSN game I have, not to say it doesn’t look good. It is artistic and stylised more than it is draw droppingly pretty. So I would advise to avoid playing this on a small screen if you can help it.

So far I am having a lot of fun and I have at least had my £3.50s worth!

No comments: