Thursday 7 August 2008

The making of "Burnout Paradise" review...Part 3

Burnout is opening up more and more as I play it like any game should. Progress seems quick, but without seeming too easy. I’m beginning to understand how the game works now. Now I see that although there are set event types at Junction (Race, Stunt Run, Take down etc) they are not fixed by their goals. What I mean by that is that if you have just done a 12,000 point stunt run the next stunt run event you find will be 15,000. It means you never find an even that is way above your skill level or well below, perfect!

Possibly my favourite feature is the way you gain new cars. New cars are set loose on the world and if you drive around a little bit it will zoom past and you take pursuit. The game always seems to make the prize automobile whiz past from a different direction to you. I could just imagine other games simply having the car sidle up along side you or ask “Would you like to chase?”, but Burnout gives you this really visceral way of making your choice by slamming on the hand brake. Then you are definitely in the mood to chase!

Now at the mighty Grade C I am very excited to see how the game continues to open up to me and what other secrets it has hiding away.

My only real gripe so far is having to drive all the way to a Junk yard to change my car to a more suitable one. Maybe I just need to find more ‘yards to drive through.

I also want to give online a go, and I jumped in with some randoms but I really didn’t know what was going on. So if anyone fancies playing a bit of Burnout online and showing me some of the ropes I would much appreciate it. Just got myself a Bluetooth headset so I am ready to talk rubbish in game as well as on my blog!

My PSN is glennpfc so drop me an invite and we can trash some of Paradise city.

No comments: