Thursday 7 August 2008

The Making of "Burnout Paradise" review...Part 4

Going from grade B to A is certainly taking a lot longer than all of my upgrades before it. It’s also making me wonder what else does this game have to offer. Just adding one more to my required take downs or adding more points to a stunt total isn’t really that exciting. Early on I found I either hammered those modes or failed miserably. I quickly racked up 30 takedowns on an event that only required 8. So once the event is then made “harder” by putting it up to 9 takedowns it doesn’t seem to add more to the challenge.

I have more than got the hang of not hitting restart when I muck up a race and trying something else, with one exception. The burning routes. These are car specific events where a timed dash to the finish unlocks a special version of the car you are in. As far as I can tell there is only one location for each of these, so if you fail it’s a long trek back. When you find yourself switching between cars a lot it makes sense to want to do these before you change and it has become a bit of a chore on the harder routes. My solution would be to put another start point at the end. It gets around not having the “restart” option but doesn’t leave failures as overly punished.

I have finally got into doing normal races and my latest quick tip is to use the road guide at the top. When you are driving to a junction the road names will converge to show you when the turn is about to hit. If you are then in a race the “best” route will flash telling you to turn. This means I am no longer spending most of my time staring at the mini map and pausing to check my route!

I’m hoping once I get to class A the game starts offering me some new types of events. If this is all the game has to offer I am beginning to get a little fatigued….I want something new! Not just a car with a couple of higher stats.

No comments: